A great method for improving explosive strength/rate of force development is the Contrast Method. Here you superset a compound movement with a plyometric movement. The theory is you excite the high threshold motor units with the heavy compound movement which then potentiates performance in the plyometric movement.
Within this training session the exercise selection went like this:
- A1) Barbell Back Squat (High Bar, Oly Depth) x 3 reps
- A2) Box Jump x 3 reps (3 x sets)
- B1) Barbell Back Squat (High Bar, Oly Depth) x 3 reps
- B2) Hurdle Jump x 3 reps (3 x sets)
- C1) Barbell Back Squat (High Bar, Oly Depth) x 3 reps
- C2) Depth Jump x 3 reps (3 x sets)
Notice the change in plyometric movement from a beginner to a more advanced selection instead of 6-10 sets with the same movement.
Benefits of this Method
- Improve Power Output
- Improve Jumping Ability
- Improve Running Speed
- Recruit Fast Twitch Fibres